We love events because they’re dynamic and exciting. No two events are ever the same, which means event planners rarely get bored of it as a career. However, even the most organised and experienced event planner will find a new obstacle they need to overcome from time to time. Planning an event entails hurdles, complications and last minute changes – it’s par for the course.
But there are obstacles, and there are downright 'my-event-is-on-the-verge-of-totally-collapsing' type of disasters. Here, we've compiled a list of the most common nightmare scenarios and outlined how you can try to avoid them (by using Rentuu, of course).
1. Getting ripped off $ $ $
Wouldn't it be great if we all had an unlimited budget? The possibilities would be endless! Unfortunately, event planners area increasingly finding themselves having to get creative and do more with much less. However, the possibilities can still be endless -- if you're smart about your finances. Always, always, always set a threshold for your event so that you don’t end up (literally) paying for your mistakes in the long run.
Here, we suggest a three-pronged approach:
1. Set a clear budget limit for your event and stick with it.
2. Ask around and trust your gut. Don't deal with venue providers, caterers or suppliers that you don't trust 100%. Search for reviews and ask other eventprofs what their experience in dealing with said businesses has been.
3. Embrace the art of the haggle and shop around. Price negotiation is a must - because if you don't ask, you don't get.
While we don't have a magic money pot for you to use (if only!), what we can do is find the best price for the supplies that you're after. So if, say, you need to hire 45 banquet tables, we'll happily search through the depths of every listed supplier and get you the cheapest possible deal. Plus, our platform is fully transparent in its pricing. No small-print duping here!
2. Tick-tock... you're running out of time!
It’s vital that you invest the right resources in the right place, at the right time. Event planning is the one area where you can't micro-manage enough. Even the smallest inefficiency can set you back, cutting into the little personal time you have. If you don't plan your time accordingly, it's highly likely that you'll soon burn out.
So, how can you stay on top of it all without staying up all night?
1. Schedule, schedule, schedule. Lists are great. Calendars are great. Working within a certain timeframe forces your brain to work towards a deadline — and move on when time is up.
2. Break it all down into minutes (not hours). The world’s most productive people look at their day as 1,440 minutes to get things done. You may need an hour to complete a specific project, but there are also plenty of quick tasks you can handle in a matter of minutes. 5-minute tasks are also a good idea. Use a resource like Trello to help plan your minutes.
3. Outsource your stress. Rentuu helps save you time by searching through a huge network of suppliers and finding the equipment you're after. There's no longer a need to deal with multiple suppliers and co-ordinate endless communication streams -- we'll do all the heavy lifting for you.
3. Last minute changes and breakdowns
Imagine you've put extra effort into the event and did everything right. You micro-managed everything from the venue, catering, to the decor, staff, and tech. You even went out of your way to do really nail down your event marketing this time around. And then you get that dreaded call from your supplier. 'Two of the LED screens you ordered have broken down,' or, 'we've had a leak and our furniture is damaged -- I'm sorry, we can't provide you with 80 chairs as agree.' These are the words that will propel even the most seasoned, cool-headed event planner into an intense panic mode.
How do you avoid such a scenario?
Quite frankly, you can't. Accidents happen, and suppliers can let you down. If you do have the misfortune of encountering such a setback first-hand, you don't need to panic just yet. At Rentuu, we're pretty well versed at dealing with last-minute breakdowns. Our team of dedicated sourcing experts and account managers will do everything that is physically within their power to get you the supplies that you need in time for your event. Simply put: we've got your back.