It’s the most wonderful time of the year – nope, not Christmas – it’s London’s first proper heatwave. As we’re busy celebrating the grand opening of the sun, picnic and prosecco season over the weekend, the sweaty reality of soaring temperatures hits home when we’re back in the sweltering office come Monday.
Even if you’ve you’re self-employed, chances are you’ve got no air-con at your place. Or, maybe you’re in London for a break, and your accommodation feels more Finnish sauna than it does quintessentially English abode. Whatever the case, the sticky, red-faced predicament you find yourself in is not a good look. Plus, we all know how hard it is to get anything done when your brain feels like permanently melted ice-cream mush. Verdict? You gotta cool down, and you gotta do it fast.
Unfortunately, London isn’t known for its abundance of AC’s. If you’re used to fridge-cool temperatures in offices, busses and shops, the oven-hot temps in public spaces will come as a bit of a shock. But it needn’t be a struggle - there’s plenty of ways to keep a cool head (and body) this summer.
1. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. When the temperatures rise north of 25C, water is your saviour and your very best friend. Dehydration is dangerous, so make sure you’re chugging plenty of ice-cool water through the day.
2. Pick your fabrics. Synthetic materials make you feel stickier and sweatier, so stick to natural fabrics like cotton and linen to help your pores breathe. Oh, and unless you enjoy roasting, ditch the darks and blacks and opt for lighter shades.
3. Rent a quality fan. We know that heatwaves tend to be very short-lived in the island of endless grey and rain that is Britain. So, buying a fan and making it a permanent fixture in your house doesn’t really make sense. But did you know that getting hold of a high-quality fan has never been easier? You can just rent one through Rentuu. Yep, whether it’s two days or two weeks, Rentuu offers a completely quick and hassle-free rental service. All you gotta do is choose your fan, and, with a couple of clicks, it’ll be delivered to your doorstep within 24 hours. Best of all? Rentuu collects your fan when the heatwave is over. You get to save your money and storage space without sacrificing your well-being. What’s not to love?
5. Hit up the water. Nothing beats a fresh, brisk swim when it comes to tackling scorching heat and luckily, London has a quite the variety of ponds and lidos - the Hampstead ponds being our personal favourite. If you have time, you can also check out some beautiful, sandy beaches within an hour of London.
6. Get out of the city. It goes without saying that managing the heat is way easier when you’re in the country. Forests in particular provide amazing respite from London’s polluted, hot air. There’s a whole bunch of scenic green spaces just a stone’s throw away from London, so go get camping. And, if you do, don’t forget to rent out a tent through Rentuu.
7. Embrace it. You know the saying – if you can’t beat them, join them? Sometimes, the best way to fight something is actually to embrace it. Pack up the sunscreen, stock up on ice-cream and go out there and sunbathe. After all, this is London – and the next foggy, damp and miserable day is likely to come knocking sooner rather than later.